Friday, June 13, 2008

Are you having brain surgery? Need a cap? Want to help?

I recently spoke with my two major online crochet groups regarding the great need for caps for brain surgery patients. I discussed how there are so many groups that make chemo caps for cancer centers but when facing my first brain surgery I could only find one charity group that was willing to provide me with a cap.

So I decided to take action. I let the online groups know of this need. I was met with a tremendous response of both sudden understanding and the wish to help.

I wrote to nearly three dozen neurosurgical departments around the United States--and beyond--and now have some contacts and agreements with them to provide their brain surgery patients with free crocheted caps (and knitted and sewed for those who do those kind as well).

Since this blog is so well-known in the brain surgery community (and beyond, having been contacted by local and national media after them finding it), I would like to take advantage of its reputation.

If you are facing an upcoming brain surgery and are in need of a cap or two, please contact me. You can let me know via a comment left at this blog with your address (I will NOT publish the comment so don't worry about privacy of personal information). Also let me know your age and approximate cap size (small, medium, or large for your age). This helps let me know if I should send a cap made for a small, medium, or large child or adult. I also of course will provide for infants and toddlers.

If you are a crafter and wish to join in, feel free to contact me and I will respond with the appropriate information. I can provide you with the neurosurgery facilities to send caps to, or you can send caps for my home supply from which I send caps directly to patients who contact me.

I will never charge patients postage, but if any crafters or anyone else wishes to help defray this cost it would be greatly appreciated.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

keesha(underscore)b(at)yahoo(dot)com

7 comments:

  1. I would love to list this on my blog~do I just link to you? Do you wanna write up a sentence or two or should I just DO IT?! LOL!

    I'm so glad to "meet" ya and will be keepin' tabs on how you're doing! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Keesha you NEVER cease to amaze me...

    Please let me know if anyone needs a cap, I've made for chemo before but never thought about brain surgery... DUH... just paint a big L on my forehead ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. keesha i would love to help, send me the info as far as size and what kind of yarn, i can not work with wool but can with cotton or other natural yarns. i crochet better than i knit so will do it that way just let me know alright sweetie i think its great what your doing hugs my friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. keesha i would love to help, send me the info as far as size and what kind of yarn, i can not work with wool but can with cotton or other natural yarns. i crochet better than i knit so will do it that way just let me know alright sweetie i think its great what your doing hugs my friend

    ReplyDelete
  5. keesha i would love to help, send me the info as far as size and what kind of yarn, i can not work with wool but can with cotton or other natural yarns. i crochet better than i knit so will do it that way just let me know alright sweetie i think its great what your doing hugs my friend

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently....actually just this early morning had brain surgery...my hair is my pride and joy and now i only have half a head of hair...i look ridiculous...plz help me...i'm so depressed and upset about my hair...I need a few hats to cover it up...i walked to the cafeteria in the hospital today and a man asked if i hit my head on the bottom of the pool..ugh...i don't like that...any advice let me know plz! again plz help with the hats too! Greatly appreciataed...Megan--in NY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan I just sent you an email, just an FYI.

    ReplyDelete