Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Update from doctor appt

We spent 3 1/2 hours with the 2 surgeons today, Dellon and Williams. I did some length testing there before I saw them. The results were pretty wonky as it turns out. I have a 70% loss of function of the left arm, and some on the right but it's not nearly as bad as the other side.

Dellon had a great understanding of Chiari. The 2 docs brought in another lady for her to watch and learn. Dellon drew a pic of the head and brain for her and explained about CSF being obstructed and the potential fatal impact on the brain stem, how it's a dangerous, life-threatening problem.

They feel this surgery will not be nearly as hard for me as all the others I've been through. I'll be admitted to UMH after surgery primarily because the 5 nerves and the muscle they will be messing with runs along a main artery so they want to watch for bleeds, especially with a history of hematomas and such. I'll have a drain as well but it will be removed the next morning.

Dellon asked where we were going to get dinner and drew us a map to his favorite Irish pub, Ryan's Daughter. Ok, so I grew up eating my catch, spoiled by yummy fresh food, as comes with growing up along a river and the ocean. I've got to hand it to this restaurant for having the BEST cod I have ever had in my life.

Unfortunately the snow that started sometime shortly before we woke up this morning picked up speed all day and thanks to DH's drink with dinner, I drove us back to the hotel. It's been 5 years since I stopped driving in the snow so it was a little unnerving and I thanked God the moment we pulled into the hotel parking garage.

It's been a busy crazy time since we got here since we missed our connecting flight, had to find the rental car the company didn't want to be bothered to exit the office and locate themselves, getting lost on the way here at 2 a.m. because of no lights near the tiny street name signs, blah blah blah. I had hoped to meet up with a friend and with a CM group but it's been nuts. :(

I check in at UMH tomorrow/Thursday at 8 a.m. for my 10 a.m. surgery. It should take around 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

I'll update again when I can. Thank you for your prayers!


  1. Nice of you to be his designated driver, I'm sure this has him stressed too, and Sharon and I are saying extra prayers, and wishing you a speedy recovery. Sharon got her c-pap last night, and slept like a log. And made not a peep. Take care , Keesha. I'll be online when you are up to a chat.

  2. You must be done with surgery by now! I hope you feel better.

  3. Keesha,

    I was so happy to hear the news that you came through the surgery with flying colors. Of anyone I know, you are truly deserving of a miracle. I am blessed to know you.

    We were at treatment today and Kitty, our chemo nurse, said to tell you she said "God bless." She's been thinking about you ever since I told her all about you before I came up in October.

    Love you hon!