Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lil Miss Working Dog

Shelby did great today on paratransit, lying down on the wheelchair lift and holding on for dear life as it moved. On the return lift when the HandiDogs instructor supervised us getting on board, the driver told her they usually take assistance dogs on board first then the owner/chair user. The instructor laughed and told him he would "never get this dog away from her owner." LOL That's my Shelby girl! Class went much better than last week as well, I am happy to report.

I realized that my National Brain Tumor Foundation's Angel Adventure Day is one week after my return from next week's surgery in Baltimore. With everything going on between prepwork to put the house on the market, DH's surgery, my sudden surgery, my mom visiting, and Shelby's training, I haven't been able to put nearly as much into it as I was able to last year. I feel badly about it.

Pardon me asking but if you are able, would you be able to spare even $5? Neurological research is so critically important. It is a terribly underfunded area when it comes to grants and sponsorships, and brain disease is devastating. Even if someone recovers, so-called recovery is typically partial. We are left with permanent life-altering and often debilitating side effects. While we struggle throughout every single day, our families are left to cope and pick up the pieces. Nothing is ever the same.

That is why we need your help. If everyone found $5 to give, which is of course tax-deductible since it is a 501(c)(3), it would make an astounding difference.

While new discoveries funded by your help may be too late for some of us, it gives us hope and courage to get through the days simply to know our children may take advantage of wonderful scientific and medical advances.

There is a link on the right side of the page. If you follow, you will find the donation page--and my family's deep gratitude.

DH's minor outpatient surgery today for a sort-of hernia went fine. He's been going back and forth between watching television and snoozing. All is well.

We have our flights and hotel but not the rental car yet. A generous friend is trying to work it out for us to use her accrued points for the car; hopefully we will know tomorrow if it will work out. It is so kind of her!

There is so much to do I'm a bit flustered which I guess is why I'm sitting here instead of getting things done. Thursday is just a particularly exhausting day because of Shelby's class. I'll work on a couple little things tonight (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment