Monday, April 21, 2008

Methadone & Medigap

I saw Pain Man on Thursday and thanks to a combination of sleep deprivation, exhaustion, mind-boggling pain, and desperation, he ended up sitting with me for 40 minutes while I cried. Long story short, my current meds schedule (narcotics & muscle relaxers every 4 hours around the clock) is staying the same, but we added Methadone. Hopefully adding the latter to my regular dosage of other opioids will help take the edge off.

So far, there isn't any pain relief with the Methadone but I have been getting some rest here and there. It really isn't at night, which is nothing new, but instead I'm getting an hour here and there. I'm not complaining, I'm grateful. Those couple hours are already making a big difference in my mindset. It takes 5-7 days for the Methadone to build up in the body and reach the level it will stay at, and I only started taking it Friday night so I still have several days to go before I may see a difference in the pain.

On day 8 I add an additional dose at mid-day so I guess I'll go through another adjustment period. But if it works, that's ok.

I am currently in underwriting for a Medigap policy. I don't know how we're going to go without the $184 a month, that's more than our monthly grocery budget, but it's a necessary evil since the only other option is their no-deductible policy, which is $345 a month (the 184 a month has a $1900 deductible). I hope it'll come through and be approved--of course they had to ask if I had any brain disorders--as I need my CCF redone and extended, and it's looking like I'll need the right side taken care of for the bilateral arterial TOS. I knew it would have to come sooner or later but I was hoping for later! I think I ended up accelerating it a bit with all the crocheting I'm doing, but such is life. I'm not giving up my sanity saver.

Oh and boy has this been a great year for contests around here! I won those NHRA drag racing championships tickets a couple months ago, and last week DH won Rage in the Cage tickets! We are so excited! It's this Saturday. It's going to be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment